Saturday, June 2, 2012

Natural Hair and Exercise: Tips for Transitioners

A few months ago, I decided to join the ranks of Natural Hair Goddesses. I just got sick of putting chemicals in my hair and worrying about sweating out my wrap. Also, I became curious about what my real hair looks like. What I did not consider is how the transition would effect my exercise routine. I am now 4 months post relaxer and I have been on a journey to find a style that works for exercise and transitioning hair. I have stopped every sista at the gym and looked at countless blogs and youtube videos. There is a lot of info out there for transitioners but the info for women that exercise is lacking. So I decided to share what I found with you all. The two styles that seem to work the best are perm rod sets and Bantu knot outs. The great thing is there are tons of DIY videso. I plan to try the perm rod set this week. See below for example videos to get the style.

Do you have any suggests for natural or transitioning hairstyles?

Perm Rod video



Bantu Knot Outs


3 comments:

Veggie Mama said...

I could only endure the transitioning period for 3 months before I had to CHOP it :) But I did a lot of braids and braid outs. I must say natural hair has been SO much easier since I started working out regularly!!

Anonymous said...

I have sisterlocks which I got with an inch and a half of new growth and four inches of permed ends. As the natural hair grew out and became sisterlocked, I started clipping the permed ends off a little at a time. 3.5 years later I have 12 inches of all natural sisterlocks that stop just above my bra strap. I do 2-a-day workouts and could care less about what the weather is like when it comes to my hair. THIS WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE!

Fitness Goddess said...

Thank you ladies you have motivated me to go through with this!