Monday, June 18, 2012

Natural Hair and Exercise: Transitioning Tips 101

I'm so lucky that my Sis is a hair stylist. She works at a hair salon downtown Chicago and just so happens to be an expert on transitioning from relaxed to natural hair. She has been helping me through the process so I asked her to write a post for you all. See the post below and be sure to check out her blog Kinky Hair Girl.

The pic above is my first DIY rollerset. More detailed pics to come!







Hair Care advice for Transitioners from Kinky Hair Girl:

Hello Readers, I apologize for not updating in such a long time. I have been doing a lot of research and product knowledge classes.


A lot of my clients are continuously me the same questions. "How can I go natural without cutting my hair?", "What are the best products to use, while transitioning?".

So, that is the topic for my post. ''The Big Transition"



If you want to keep your length while transitioning, it is possible but difficult. There are many ways to go bout this but one thing that is very important is that you You must understand that when you straighten your hair you stretch out your curl. Therefore setting back your natural goal. What I always recommend my clients is to start treating your hair as if it is already curly. Which means start doing the natural styles. Like I said it will be a difficult path but you can achieve your goal. Here are my tips on achieving your goal.


Natural Styles

1.  When doing natural styles use rods at the ends of your hair. Because the relaxed hair is still straight you need to use the rods to make it curly. Try the smallest rods so that they may be tight and last longer.

2. Make sure to clip your ends exactly every 6 weeks. When you are going through the transition your natural hair will get tangled with your relaxed hair. To prevent that clip at least 1 cm of hair every 6 weeks.

3. Hair should be conditioned under the dryer/ under cap with hot towel for 10 mins. every two weeks. Your hair will be very dry during this time. So this is a very important rule.

4. One of the easiest ways of styling while transitioning is doing rod sets. Why? Because its a curly style and when you sweat it will not be that noticeable when your hair starts to revert.
Virgin Olive Oil or Coconut oil. Just a quarter size every two to three days. It will keep your hair soft and easier to manage. Stay away from greasy products, they coat the hair and does not allow moisture to penetrate.

5. Drink lots and lots of water. There will be a point where your hair will feel very dry, that is okay and normal. Just stay hydrated.

No comments: